Preserving and Promoting local history for the former Rideau Township
Log Fence
Steamer Wanakewan arriving at Lindsay's Wharf, KarsSpring flood in North Gower from Steven's CreekMills at Manotick circa 1860s

Interests of the Society

The primary interest of the RTHS in terms of acquisition and archival of materials is in the area of the former Rideau Township (map) and the Long Reach section of the Rideau Canal.

Presentations at the monthly meetings these past years have included local subjects as well as Hadrian’s Wall in Scotland and the Adena, Hopewell and Mississippian cultures in the southern US. The Society has broad interests.

The RTHS co-operates closely and supports the Rideau Branch of the Ottawa Archives located in North Gower. See the "Archives News" and their brochure for more information on this aspect.

The Rideau Township Historical Society (RTHS)

Established in 1974 as an affiliate of the Ontario Historical Society, the Society endeavours;

The Rideau Township

Rideau Township was formed in 1974 by the amalgamation of North Gower Township (established 1792) and Marlborough Township (established 1791).

The two former townships and Rideau, all part of Carleton County, were and are primarily rural areas, although some parts of the township can be considered as a suburb of Ottawa, as many residents work in the City.

In any case, due to the rural nature of Rideau, the RTHS has its focus on the farms and small villages and their development over a time period beginning in the early 1800s and extending to the present. It has been an interesting and inspiring journey. 

Page reviewed or updated April 19, 2011
Page End Banner